Atlantic Camel Trek Description
Camel Trek 8 days
Grade A (4-5 hours walking per day) Fully camel / vehicle supported.
Optimal Period: May to October
A perfect trip to immerse yourself in the world of the Sahara desert. This magnificent trek between the ocean and dunes is conducted at the slow relaxed pace of the camel caravan. Only a few fishermen and numerous birds interrupt the solitude of the coast as we follow the coast passing immense beaches interrupted by shapely dunes and sometimes breathtaking cliffs sculptured by the sea. We pass through small oasis and occasional protected areas such as the famous forests of argane oil trees. Camps are beside creeks or on beaches, with numerous opportunities to swim in the ocean.
Itinerary of Atlantic Camel Trek Description
- Day 1 Transfer from the airport to the hotel in Marrakech.
- Day 2 Leave Marrakech by minibus and head towards Zagora via Ouarzazate, passing through the Draa Valley. Reach Mhamid in the afternoon where you meet the camel caravan. A 30 minute walk will take you to the camp in the dunes of Ras Nikhel
- Day 3 Ras Nikhel to Sidi Naji to overnight camp. 5 hrs walking.
- Day 4 Sidi Naji to Erg Lazher, 6 hrs walking.
- Day 5 Erg Lazher to Ait Ounir. 4 hrs walking
- Day 6 Ait Ounir to Ras ounir N’khel. 6 hrs walking
- Day 7 Ras-N’kel to Marrakech. 30 minutes walking to meet the minibus to take you back to Marrakech for your overnight hotel accommodation*
- Day 8 Transfer to the airport.
- * Day 7 offers optional visit to the Fantasia show. Enjoy a delicious traditional Moroccan meal offering cuisine from the 7 different regions of Morocco under the shelter of an elaborate caidal tent within a Kasbah. Traditional entertainment for the evening inculdes acrobats on Arabian horses and belly dancing with a firework display to end the evening of celebrations.
Further Information of Atlantic Camel Trek
Cultural aspects: Thanks to the trekking team that takes you for the most part into the heart of the Berber culture you will be able to meet with the local people and discover their customs and ways of life. In addition to this your Berber guide and trekking team will take it upon themselves to show you their people’s culinary and cultural specialities. You will be more appreciated and accepted if you respect their culture and their codes of dress (avoid scant clothing which can shock or make the people you meet ill at ease).
Trekking team: A Berber guide who speaks English, a cook and camel drivers from the Essaouira region.
Food on trek: Our Berber cook each day will prepare a variety of well-balanced meals, principally based on fresh produce. Breakfast: tea, coffee, hot chocolate, bread, jam, honey, margarine, cheese, corn flakes. Lunch: salads, rice, lentils, beans, tuna, patès. Dinner: meat and vegetable dish, couscous, soup, pates. Dried fruits during rest stops.
Equipment suggestions: Mountain walking boots, trekking sandals for the beach ,a day sack (30-35l). warm jacket or duvet jacket, windproof and water proof jacket, light weight walking trousers or shorts, swimming costume, towels, sun glasses, sun hat and warm hat, 2l water bottle , sun-cream head torch, first aid kit water purifying tablets, toilet paper and lighter.
Luggage: Camels will carry your luggage except for your daily requirements: sun-cream, camera, water bottle etc.
Physical condition This is a gentle trek involving little height gain or loss and the time spent walking is relatively short allowing plenty of time to enjoy the campsites, swimming, playing beach games or relaxing.
Climate The weather is generally warm and sunny, The wind from the ocean keeps the heat down
Pricing for Atlantic Camel Trek
2 People – £850 per person
3 People – £572 per person
4 People – £525 per person
5 People – £495 per person
6 or more People – £450 per person
Single supplement = £68 per person
*Optional Fantasia Show on day 7 = £50 – includes dinner, entertainment and transfers
Included in the Price
- English speaking mountain guide throughout the tour
- City guide for Marrakech visit
- Full accommodation as detailed in the itinerary
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- All transfers
Not included in the Price
- International flights
- Travel Insurance
- Beverages and additional snacks