Kilimanjaro Charity Climb Description
Join one of our 2016 Kilimanjaro Charity Climbs and help make a difference! A wonderful opportunity to live your dream whilst helping others to live theirs too!
During 2016 we are running 3 Charity Kilimanjaro Treks in conjunction with Zara Tanzania Adventures in order to raise funds for the local Masai School & Kilimanjaro Orphanage. We are offering a special discounted price and guarantee that 15% of all income will be used to make improvements and to provide much needed resources for the school and local orphanage. The trek will take place on the Rongai route over 9 days in total – an excellent route option for both acclimatisation and scenery.
Following your Kilimanjaro Charity Climb there is also the option to spend a few extra days on safari as well as the chance to kick back and give those legs a rest, relaxing on the white sand beaches of Zanzibar island and getting to know the legendary spice island.
Itinerary to Climb Kilimanjaro for Charity
- Day 1 – Arrive into Kilimanjaro (JRO) airport where you will be met and transferred to the Springlands hotel near Moshi for overnight accommodation
- Day 2 – An early breakfast, then a briefing before setting off on the 4 hour drive through villages and coffee plantations to the village of Nale Muru (1950m/6398ft). Here your adventure begins taking the winding path through fields of maize and potatoes before entering the pine forest. A gentle climb will take you through the forest before arriving at Simba Camp (2600m/8530ft) on the edge of the moorland zone. After a hearty meal you will rest here for the night.
- Day 3 – Your first breakfast on the mountain will see you up the steady ascent to ‘Second Cave’ where you can rest a while and have lunch before continuing across the moorland, then taking a smaller path toward the jagged peaks of Mawenzi. A further 10km will see you at Kikelewa Camp where you will dine and rest for the evening.
- Day 4 – After breakfast a short, steep climb up grassy slopes will reward you with some superb views and a wonderful sense of the wilderness of Kilimanjaro. Shortly you will reach the Mawenzi Tarn, situated beneath the towering spires of Mawenzi where you will be given the opportunity to explore the area before dinner and bed for the night.
- Day 5 – This day is included as your acclimatisation day so will be spent hiking to the higher altitude of Mawenzi where you will have some wonderful photographic opportunities and see some amazing views. Your overnight camp will be spent back at the Tarn.
- Day 6 – A hearty breakfast will prepare you for a trek across the lunar desert of the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo where your destination is the Kibo huts at the bottom of the crater wall. Here you will rest, eat and prepare for your summit climb.
- Day 7 – Summit day!! This day sees you rise at midnight and after a light breakfast heading for the main summit of Uhuru Peak shortly after sunrise. You should reach Gilmans point (5861m/18640ft) on the crater rim between 5-7am where you will be greeted by views of the incredible crater and the icecaps, and after a further 2 hours trekking along the crater rim you will finally meet the true summit of Kilimanjaro. After some celebratory photographs and well-earned self-congratulations you will head back down to Kibo huts for lunch before crossing the saddle for a second time to head down to Horombo huts for dinner and some well deserved sleep!
- Day 8 – After breakfast you will continue your descent through the moorland to the Mandara huts and then down to the gates where you will be met by a hot lunch before returning to Springlands hotel. Many of the staff will be leaving once you reach the gate, so you should remember to tip them before they go! You will then go on to spend the rest of your day at the Springlands hotel, no doubt enjoying a celebratory drink or two!
- Day 9 – After breakfast your return transfer to Kilimanjaro airport for your flight home … or maybe you will choose to stay a while longer and add on a safari to your trip with one of our exclusive offers!
General Information: Climb Kilimanjaro for Charity
For more information about: what to take on your trip, health and safety information and our packing lists.
Prices for the Kilimanjaro Charity Climbs
COST: $1750 per person (based on a minimum of 2 people)
A 7 Day trek along the Rongai route plus 2 nights in Springlands hotel. Single surcharge $76 per person.
To see what is included/not included in the cost and for Tipping guidelines please see check our PDF