12 Day Fann Mountains Trek – $1880 per person
19th – 30th JULY 2015
Fann mountains are considered to be one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in Central Asia. They are recognised not only for their breathtaking mountain scenery but also for the many beautiful clear lakes that are scattered around. There are many narrow canyons with clear, rushing rivers, high glaciated summits and picturesque river valleys with thousands of lakes set amongst juniper forests making this region one of the most attractive mountain regions in Central Asia. Geographically the Fann Mountains are part of those great ramparts of rock which run along the southern edge of the Central Asian republics and Siberia, following from the Caspian to the Pacific. Part of the Pamir-Alai, they are located in the Republic of Tajikistan between the Zeravshan and Gissar ranges. Accessed through the Tajikistan capital of Dushambe, this fantastic 12 day trek takes in much of this rugged and picturesque landscape with overnight stays at some of the stunning lakeside camps making this an exciting and memorable trip!
12 Day Itinerary:
- Most of the flights arrive early in the morning. Drive to the start point of the trek – camp by the 6th Marguzor Lake in the Fann Mountains.
- CAMP BELOW THE TAVASANG PASS: The donkeys arrive in the morning to carry the luggage. After a gentle section we climb steeply, passing the village of Kiogli, to camp below the Tavasang Pass at about 3000m, (10,000′).
- MUNORA PASS: After crossing the Tavasang Pass, 3300m, we descend to the Sarymat river for lunch. A gentle climb through sparse juniper woods leads to a magical meadow and campsite below the icy north face of Munora.
- MUNORA PASS: Walk up to the Munora Pass, 3520m, and descend to the deep, craggy gorge of the Archa-Maidan river. The more energetic can take-in a side trip to visit Lake Pshtykul before dropping down to the campsite – this option makes for a long but rewarding day.
- ZURMECH WOOD: We go down the Archa-Maidan valley to Zurmech Wood. Along the way we pass several small villages which appear to blend into the rocky mountainsides. At Zurmech we pass through semi-wild apple, cherry and apricot orchards to reach our camp by a crystal clear stream (2000m).
- CHUKURAK LAKES: Walk up a colorful canyon to the Zurmech Pass, 3200m. Descend to the next campsite by the Chukurak lakes. The gnarled junipers combine with steep cliffs to make this a very scenic spot. The inviting lake waters are icy cold! Camp by the lake.
- CAMP BY BIBIJONA LAKE: Cross the Chukurak Pass to Kulikalon hollow with its numerous streams and lakes. Camp by Bibijona Lake with magnificent panorama of the steep glaciated north face of the Chimtarga, the highest summit of the Fann.
- CAMP BY BIBIJONA LAKE: We spend an extra night here; relaxing or doing a circular walk from the campsite.
- ALAUDIN PASS: Hike up to the Alaudin Pass, 38000m, from where there are stunning views of the deep-blue Alaudin Lakes and the main peaks. Descend to a campsite by the lakes.
- LAKES: Day tour up to the Mutnye (“Murky”) Lakes which are surrounded by glaciers and summits amongst these being Energia, 5120m, Zamok, 5150m, Chimtarga, 5489m, the highest peak in the Fann. Although the lakes are located at the altitude of 3500m there are still alpine flowers to liven up the stark, high mountain setting. Camp by Alaudin Lakes.
- DUSHANBE: A short walk down the valley to our waiting transport. Drive down the Zeravshan river valley and on to Dushanbe. Hotel.
- DEPARTURE: Transfer to the airport for the return flight.
Included in the cost:
- All accommodation
- All group transport
- Cook on trek
- All meals
- Group equipment
- Donkeys to carry the luggage
Not included in the cost:
- International & Domestic flights
- SGL supplement
- Personal equipment
- Visa consular fee
Groups of 1,2, 3 or 4 people will be accompanied by a local English speaking guide. For larger groups a Trek-leader will join the group.