Description of Mount Elgon Route
This magnificent and remote mountain on the borders of Uganda and Kenya offers superb high altitude walking. The 30 km. caldera rim is composed of several rugged mountains over 4000m high. An ascent by the Sasa Route from the west combined with a descent via the Piswa Route to thenorth offers one of the best long trips. Access to the Caldera from the Kenyan side is more difficult for organised groups but the famous elephant-carved Kitum and other caves are an interesting feature in the game rich National Park found on this side of the mountain. There is limited time for acclimatisation but we do not sleep too high. a good degree of fitness is required as the terrain is rough and some days are long.
Itinerary of Mount Elgon Route
- Day 1 – Arrive Entebbe* where you will be met and tranferred to Jinja for overnight B&B
- Day 2 – Drive to Mbale then on to Bumasole. From here we trek to Sasa river camp (3-6 hrs).
- Day 3 – Hike to Mude or Jackson summit cave on the edge of the crater lake.(4-9 hrs)
- Day 4 – Climb to Waggagai point and back to Mude (4-7 hrs).
- Day 5 – Descend to Kapkwai overnight at Kajere camp ( 4-6 hrs).
- Day 6 – Descend to Sipi falls camp (3-6 hrs).
- Day 7 – Transfer to Entebbe* for your return flight.
* For those that arrive/depart on late/early flights please let us know and accommodation
can be arranged in Kampala at an additional cost.
|1-2 person US$ 2030|
|3 persons US$ 1750|
|4+ persons US$ 1630|
What’s included/not included in the costs:
- To see what’s included & not included in your package see the PDF below
General Information:Mount Elgon
For more information about: what to take on your trip, health and safety information and our packing lists.