Margherita Peak 13 Day Description
5,109 metres – Margherita Peak is Africa’s third highest peak – however the real beauty is in the climb up the Kilembe route where the forests, valleys and flora is diverse with trees and valleys of ferns. The trees are alive with many species of birds and primates and as you walk up the trail you will see chimp nests high up in the tall trees. If you’re lucky you may catch a glimpse of the resident chimpanzee as they scamper away. Climbing Magherita Peak is more of a hard scramble than a climb except for a few difficult moves (when it snows it is more difficult) however the reward and exhilaration of reaching the top is enormous as you look across Albert Peak to the Congo, then east across the spectra of the Rwenzori Mountains.
For those who don’t wish to include transfers we can arrange to meet you in Kasese for the 9 day trek only.
Itinerary for Climb Margherita Peak – 13 Day trip
- Day 1 – Arrive Entebbe where you will be met and transferred to Boma Guest House or Lake Heights hotel for overnight B&B
- Day 2 – Transfer to Kasese (8 hours) for overnight at Margherita Hotel.
- Day 3 – Transfer to starting point (20 mins) to begin the steady walk with a steep climb for the last km and sleep at Sine Hut at 2,596m being a height gain of 1,146m. For those who want a bigger challenge you can add in a climb to Mutinda Lookout at 3,975m which is directly above Mutinda Camp 3,688m. The climb takes about 40 minutes to one hour.
- Day 4 – After a good breakfast, trekking starts at 8.30am and you soon enter the Bamboo- Mimulopsis Zone which is steep climb with many high steps. In the wet season the bamboo area is rather muddy and slippery making the going slow. However the atmosphere and the forest is beautiful as you climb 551m altitude and a distance of 1.8km to Kalalama Camp at 3,147m which is in the Heather-Rapanea Zone where you can take a rest and a quick cup of tea or coffee before heading on to Mutinda Camp.
- Day 5 – 4.9km starting at 3,688m cross the Mutinda valley, up a steep section to Namusangi Valley (3,840m). Continue to Bugata camp (4062m) Bugata Camp has good facilities,
solar lights, good toilets and bathrooms.
- Day 6 – 6.2km starting at 4,062 meters climbing over 4,450m sleeping at 3,974m Commence trekking at 8.30am to climb up Bamwanjara Pass, the trail climbs steadily with several long flat bogs. On reaching the top of Banwamjara Pass you get excellent views of all the main snow capped peaks where we have a small shelter for you to rest and enjoy the scenery. Continue to Butawu Camp for overnight.
- Day 7 – 4.2km Starting at 3.974m climbing to 4.485m along the Scott Elliott Pass and up the ridge of Mt Stanley to Margherita Camp.
- Day 8 – Day starts at 4.30am when you will have breakfast and begin climbing in order to get to the Stanley Glacier before sunrise – 4,485m climbs to Margherita Peak at 5,109m return to Margherita Camp then descend to Butawu Camp at 3,974m to sleep.
- Day 9 – Climb up Bamwanjara Pass – 6.2km starting at 3,974m climbing over 4,450m sleeping at Bugata Camp 4,062m
- Day 10 – Descend to Samalira camp (3174m)
- Day 11 – Hike down to base camp then transfer to Fort Portal (about 2 hrs) for an overnight stay
at Fort Motel
- Day 12 – Transfer to Entebbe/Kampala for an overnight stay in Humura Hotel or Protea Resort
- Day 13 – Transfer to airport for your return flight.
Prices for Climb Margherita Peak – 13 Day trip
Prices shown are per person in US$’s
|1 person US$ 3552|
|2 persons US$ 3151|
|3+ persons US$ 2891|
To see what is included/not included in the cost and for tipping guidelines please see check our PDF
For those who wish to meet our guide in Kasese prices for the 9 day trek:
|1 person US$ 1919|
|2 persons US$ 1489|
|3+ persons US$ 1345|
General Information: Margherita Peak
For more information about: what to take on your trip, health and safety information and our packing lists.
Please note: We retail maps for Rwenzori (main map and routes to summit on one side, information of the area, terrain, climate, vegetation, etc on the reverse). Please visit our BUY MAPS webpage for more details and costs.