Mutinda Loop Route Description
The trip includes a five day trek that takes you up to either Sine or Kalalama Camps then day two you climb to Mutinda where you have the option of climbing Mutinda Lookout at 3,975m in the afternoon to catch the magnificent views. Day three you will climb up the Namusangi valley past Lake Nsuranga to Kiharo Camp. The next day you descend to Samalira Camp for the night before descending to Kilembe.
For those who wish to take the 5 day trek only our guide can meet you in Kilembe – please check for pricing.
Itinerary of Mutinda Loop Route
- Day 1 – Arrive Entebbe where you will be met and transferred to Kilembe for overnight
- Day 2 – The trek starts at Trekkers Hostel in Kyanjiki 12 kilometres from Kasese past Kilembe. Best to start by 8.30am but can leave as late as 10am. Meet your guides and briefing. You walk 2.2km to the UWA rangers post at 1,727m. Today’s walk 8.6 km expected time 5 to 6 hours Start height is 1,667m climbing to 3,171m to Samalira Camp
- Day 3 – 6.9km 4 to 5 hours. Set off around 8.15am and initially climb steadily. After a relatively short climb the trail becomes less steep as we pass over Chavumba (meaning heaven) at 3,316m them cross a small flat valley to climb up a steady ridge to the top at 3,515m. Here we descend steadily for about 1km before descending for a well earned lunch break at Poly’s Rock Shelter 3,249m. After lunch we climb steadily above the Nyamwamba River for 1.6km though old giant heathers covered in old man’s beard moss to Kiharo Camp at 3,380m directly at the base of some good granite rock climbs of 20 to 40 metres, with towering peaks above. Here if you have the energy you may decide to do a spot of rock climbing before settling down for the evening.
- Day 4 – After a early breakfast in Kiharo Camp climb a steep section to Mutinda Rock Shelter for overnight. The shelter is big enough for more than eighty people to sleep and offers a large dry area where you can relax and enjoy the unique atmosphere of the Rwenzori Mountains.
- Day 5 – The distance from Mutinda to Kalalama Camp is 5.1km however before you descend you may climb up to Mutinda lookout at 3,975m and which takes about 45 minutes to one hour then about 30 minutes to descend. Sleep in Kalalama Camp
- Day 6 – We descend down through the bamboo forests. Here we cross to the trail climbing to Samalira camp just above the lunch spot on day one. Short break before we walk the final distance through mountain montane forest to the Rangers Post 1,727m then walk down to Trekkers Hostel (2km). Overnight B&B
- Day 7 – Transfer to Entebbe for your return flight home
Prices of Mutinda Loop Route
Prices shown are per person in US$’s
|1 person US$ 2678|
|2 persons US$ 2148|
|3+ persons US$ 1912|
To see what is included/not included in the cost and for tipping guidelines please see check our PDF
Prices for those who wish to meet in Kilembe for the 5 day trek only:
|1 person US$ 716|
|2 persons US$ 716|
|3+ persons US$ 640|
General Information: Mutinda Loop
For more information about: what to take on your trip, health and safety information and our packing lists.
Please note: We retail maps for Rwenzori (main map and routes to summit on one side, information of the area, terrain, climate, vegetation, etc on the reverse). Please visit our BUY MAPS webpage for more details and costs.