Weismanns Peak Route Description
The trip includes a 6 day trek which includes a steady walk with a steep climb for the last km. Start at Trekkers Hostel at 1,450m and sleep at Sine Hut at 2,596m being a height gain of 1,146m. For those who want a bigger challenge and add in a climb to Mutinda Lookout at 3,975m which is directly above Mutinda Camp 3,688m, you may continue to Kalalama Camp at 3,147m. This will they give you ample time to climb Mutinda Lookout tin the afternoon and enjoy the views plus give better acclimatization for higher altitudes. The climb takes about 40 minutes to one hour. The trek starts at Trekkers Hostel in Kyanjuki, which is situated 1,450m above sea level and 12 kilometers from Kasese. It is best to start by 9 am but can leave as late as 11am. You walk 2.2km to the UWA rangers post (1,727m) which takes about one hour. Here you pay the gate entrance fee and the rangers brief you on the rules of the National Park.
For those who wish to take the 6 day trek option ONLY (no transfers or hotel) please see our pricing
Itinerary of Weismanns Peak Route
- Day 1 – Arrive Entebbe where you will be met and transferred to Kilembe for overnight B&B
- Day 2 – We start by walking up the valley floor through tall forest trees of the Afro Montane Forest Zone and up to Sine Hut (2585m). Enock’s Falls are just 200m from Sine Hut and offer a splendid opportunity to capture a great screensaver for your memories. The wooden hut with 10 beds is a set between tall forest trees on a narrow ridge and has a large verandah where you may sit and enjoy the beauty of the Afro Montane forest while you look down at a fantastic waterfall crashing over the rocks far below.
- Day 3 – After a good breakfast, trekking starts at 8.30am and you soon enter the Bamboo – Mimulopsis Zone which is steep climb with many high steps. In the wet season the bamboo area is rather muddy and slippery making the going slow. Contine down to Kasese town and Lake George.
- Day 4 – 4.9km starting at 3,688m climbing to Bugata camp at 4,062m. Bugata Camp has good facilities – solar lights, good toilets and bathrooms where the guides may prepare some warm water in a basin for you to wash. Bugata also has a heli pad in case of any need for rescue by helicopter.
- Day 5 – Climb Weismann’s Peak 4,620m and Stella Peak 4,626m 3.7km to Weismanns Peak then another 800m to Stella Peak. Return to Bugata Camp. Total distance 9km 4 to 6 hours
- Day 6 – Descend to either Kiharo Camp 3,460m
- Day 7 – Descend to Samalira Camp 3,147m which is situated in a closed valley at the top of several waterfalls and is the alternative to sleeping In Kiharo Camp. From here you descend down a long ridge, through the Bamboo-Mimulopsis Zone and Afro Montane Forest Zone back down to base camp in Kilembe
- Day 8 – Transfer to Entebbe for your return flight
Prices of Weismanns Peak Route
Prices shown are per person in US$’s
|1 person US$ 2873|
|2 persons US$ 2414|
|3+ persons US$ 2183|
To see what is included/not included in the cost and for tipping guidelines please see check our PDF
Right Click: SAVE AS to download the PDF
Prices for those who wish to take the 6 day trek ONLY:
|1 person US$ 938|
|2 persons US$ 938|
|3+ persons US$ 827|
General Information: Weismanns Peak
For more information about: what to take on your trip, health and safety information and our packing lists.
Please note: We retail maps for Rwenzori (main map and routes to summit on one side, information of the area, terrain, climate, vegetation, etc on the reverse). Please visit our BUY MAPS webpage for more details and costs.